Saturday, March 7, 2020

The Rope







This was my entry in a Writing Competition at the Goodreads group, RUBICAL. It really is a lot of fun. You are given a prompt and the parameters and then off you go. It's a great place to hone your writing skills and have some fun at the same time. I've been writing for almost 45 years and I've gotten much better from my time there. I've had to stretch my creative abilities and let my imagination roam. And it ended up soaring instead. 

Yes. I am unabashedly trying to talk you into going there. From people my age (53 48) to 11 years old, it's for everyone. It's mostly Christians, but not exclusively. It just means that we keep it clean. But besides that ... 

We always want new members and our moderator is so wonderful. A safe, encouraging place to write. LLR

Here are the Rules and Prompt for the story that I entered. And won! (Please read the prompt, otherwise the following story will make no sense.)


What Did They Say Competition #1! This was something new on the top of my head that I thought we could try! I hope it all makes sense. Enjoy! Perhaps next time it won't be as dark. :P

Don't turn this into a story; please only a few sentences in response or unfortunately it won't count.

You must reply to the prompt in a realistic way--nothing totally random that has nothing to do with the prompt. It needs to be a dialogue response!

© There will be no stealing of anyone's stories/work. We should all be mature enough to respect that if we are entering a contest. ©


Here is your prompt:
The man stepped towards me, old aging face decorated with sad lines. His clothes drooped just like his back as he stared sadly towards us.
"The problem is, child," he began, even though I was in my twenties and not at all a child anymore. "people take things for granted. Especially the earth we live on. But...then come along evil creatures, creatures who say they are human, and perhaps they are, but no longer act like the man walking down the street or the woman reading at the library." He shifted uncomfortably. "When these people come, they'll take you away. You won't be able to stop them. The earth won't be like you thought. In fact, it's not at all like anyone thinks."
I didn't understand his words. Nothing was making sense. I had just run about three miles to escape from the drones, and out of nowhere this man had stopped me, begging me to listen to his story and about how dangerous the earth was. The wars breaking out all over earth were surely trapping us against our wills.
"I've told you enough now, child," the old man sighed. "But most importantly, watch for the mist. The mist will choke you."
I frowned, opening my mouth to ask him a question. I said...

What did the character say to the old man? Feel free to think about whatever may be happening in this scene and supply a question!



The Rope


I frowned, opening my mouth to ask him a question. I said …


“Did you miss medication time at the Funny Farm, Pops?”


“Ah, arrogance. It’s something that I might tolerate, but will certainly not be met with understanding and patience by anyone else. But it is a good way for a young, arrogant fool to get killed.”


“Sorry. Guess I’m just trying to ignore what you said. I’ve known for quite a while now that things are way worse than we believe.
So any advice for a ‘young arrogant fool’?”


“Yes. Stop.”


“Stop what?”


“Stop being a young arrogant fool. It can be accomplished. Especially if you have help.”


“But where on ‘Planet Hate and Chaos’ will I find help, Pops?”


“ A rope made of three strands can’t be easily broken.”


“Hey, I like that, Pops. You certainly have some smarts, even though you’re a physical wreck.”


“I’m not that smart either. I didn’t invent that saying about the rope, but I know it’s true. Are you game, Kiddo? You and me sticking together?”


“I’m with you, Pops. But where do we find the third strand for our rope?

"He's already here, Kiddo. He's already here."

by Laura-Lee Rahn


NOTE: I mentioned that I won this competition but in all honesty, I was the ONLY person who entered. So there definitely is room for you at RUBICAL. (I wonder if there is a HTML code to make this printing even smaller?)


RUBICAL at Goodreads



So many people ask me how I know when God is telling me to do something. On Friday I asked the Lord which story I should post on this blog this weekend. This is the Bible verse in my Our Daily Bread Devotional for that day.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-11
"Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.

    But how can one keep warm alone?"


Now check out verse 12.

"Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.

A cord of three strands is not quickly broken" [Emphasis mine. I love writing that, it makes me feel like a big Bible commentator.]

It's not that hard to hear God. It depends on whether or not you want to hear what He wants to tell you.

"If necessary, God will move heaven and earth to show us His will." Charles Stanley




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome with only those using objectional language being deleted.