Tuesday, December 22, 2015

CHURCH LADY P.I.: Part # 12 (Up the Mountain)



CHURCH LADY P.I. Part  # 12
(UP THE MOUNTAIN)




REMEMBER: This is a mystery and it must be read in order, including the  Introduction, then Part 1, Part 2, etc. Also read the Companion Blog Post from my Personal Blog, "Laura-Lee Was Here" called, "FINALLY FINISHED: Church Lady P.I.". There are clues everywhere. (LR)


It did actually take several minutes of concentrated effort from Bert to get us out of that muddy field which had taken a good drenching from the rain. When we had gotten back onto the small but paved road that had originally brought us out to the old factory site neither Marc nor Bert had offered an explanation of where we were heading, so I finally spoke up,
"I'm assuming 'Mount Zion' means something to the rest of you, because if we are going to the real Mount Zion, in the Holy Land, I'm pretty sure we can't get there with just Bert's truck.

Bert just smiled, but Marc actually shook his head as if he was just emerging from a trance and said, "I'm sorry Mai. I was lost in my thoughts and thinking about all that you just said. Mount Zion is the name of an old Baptist camp ground about 6 miles out of town. It was used for weekend revival meetings, summer camp for kids  and that sort of thing."

"You're using the past tense. Is it not used any more?"

"No. Not for years. It needs a bunch of repairs and nobody ever seems to have the need of it or wishes to spend the money needed to get it fixed. It would be the perfect hide out. I'm not certain Sarah is there, but with the Scripture reference and the hymns recently used, I would say we are certainly going to find something there."

"Is it actually on a mountain?"

Again, it was Marc who responded, "Well, it would be more accurate to call it a 'large hill' ."

"Hmm. That would be perfect if you needed to set up some type of communication equipment." I mused out loud.

"What about the bunnies?" Bert asked without any preamble.

"Yes. That's just what I was wondering. What are the bunnies being used for?" inquired Ginnette, echoing Bert's question.

"Well. I'm not 100 % certain, but I am sure it has to do with the Fireworks Factory that used to be there." I concluded, but then continued again.

 "Marc, you said it made guns and weapons during World War II and then it was decided it would be used to make fireworks, instead of being reclaimed into a canning factory? You factor in the 'secret' storage room in the basement, the people from the explosion all dying of cancer not too long afterwards..."

I left the remainder of the thought unspoken.

"I think it's safe to assume Sarah's bunnies are being used for some kind of smuggling purposes. Perhaps weapons."

"Guns!" Bert answered with an 'Aha!'-sentiment.

We all looked at him.

"Well," I began slowly, "I don't think it's actual guns, Bert.
 It would be rather difficult to fit an Uzi inside one of Sarah's little Velveteen bunnies. Especially without her noticing. But with computers and the like, you could definitely smuggle and sell weapons' designs or a computer program."

"Microfilm!" Bert exclaimed with another 'Aha!' - sentiment.

"And of course, the church would be a perfect front." I continued  drawing conclusions.

"It has been for the baby selling." Bert stated, as if this fact had been established and proven.

I didn't respond to him about that, but continued with my own theories.
"Reverend Wright gives a coded message with the 'inaccurate'  Bible verses and 'repeating' hymns and who knows what else. He can do it right in front of his congregation and send it out to worker and buyer alike, confident that they are the only people who will understand his message or even notice it."

"Also, I can't help thinking about that 'secret' storage room where four people had been sheltered from the Factory explosion. Yet soon afterward they all died of cancer. Could there have been some type of radiation present at the factory? Perhaps there is still a 'secret' storage room buried under ground where the factory used to sit. Perhaps there are also secret tunnels that connect the church and the factory.

Marc suddenly interrupted, "At what point do we call the police, Mai?"

I was glad when Ginnette answered for me. When the police had questioned me about Sarah's disappearance and I started spewing out "Stuffed Bunny" conspiracy theories they were not overly impressed with me.  It was decided that we would poke around the old "Mount Zion Camp" on our own and if we discovered any trace of Sarah or one of her bunnies we would contact the police immediately.

Then Bert piped up excitedly, "What if the police are in on it too?!"

I have to admit that the thought had also crossed my mind. Exactly who was in on it? If ministers, store keepers and ordinary "church folk" were part of a smuggling ring that would go so far as to abduct an 8 year girl because she might be a threat, exactly who could be trusted?

Bert and Marc exchanged knowing glances and Marc asked him with calm intensity, "Is it still there?"

Bert put his eyes back onto the road but said evenly, "It's always there."

Marc leaned forward from the passenger side of the truck cab and opened the glove compartment door. After gingerly feeling around inside of it for a moment, his face registered when his hand gripped the item he obviously was expecting to find there. I wouldn't have been more surprised if he had pulled out a kangaroo than seeing the thing he did pull out. There in Marc's palm lay Bert's hand gun.

LINK to Next Part # 13 "Snooping"



"FINALLY FINISHED: Church Lady P.I." from Laura-Lee Was Here Blog (COMPANION POST)


CHURCH LADY P.I.: Introduction





Copyright 2015 "The characters and events in this story are not meant to represent any persons living or dead and are entirely a product of the imagination of the writer." LR

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome with only those using objectional language being deleted.