Friday, December 18, 2015

CHURCH LADY P.I. Part # 7 Back Burner



CHURCH LADY P.I. Part # 7
Back Burner




REMEMBER: This is a mystery and it must be read in order, including the  Introduction, then Part 1, Part 2, etc. Also read the Companion Blog Post from my Personal Blog, "Laura-Lee Was Here" called, "FINALLY FINISHED: Church Lady P.I." . There are clues everywhere. (LR)

Although the meeting with Bert was strange to say the least, I don't want to give the impression that it was in any way unpleasant. It was unusual and fascinating, but in the way a person would feel if they've just smelled a flower they've never encountered before only to discover that the aroma is a pleasing one.

The next handful of days were filled with meeting more of Marc's friends and mingling with more of his family members, so Sarah and her bunnies were put on the back burner of my mind. But sometimes that's exactly what our brains need to solve a problem, not to focus on it directly.

What bothered me most were the times when someone from Marc's family would hint (and not very subtilely) that since the entire family was already gathered together this would be the perfect opportunity to have a wedding.

At one point, under the pretext of showing me Marc's baby pictures, I was lured into the attic by his Aunt and shown the wedding dress that had been worn by his grandmother on her wedding day. When I remarked that it looked so clean it could be brand new, Marc's Aunt confessed that she had just had it restored and cleaned. I suddenly felt very uncomfortable and noticed that all the saliva had left my mouth. Finally, the question was no longer danced around and Aunt Susan asked me directly what the "big hold up" was. It was obvious to everyone (except me apparently) that Marc loved me very deeply and I would never find anyone better than him to marry me.

I tried to explain that it wasn't anything in his personality or character that was lacking. What Marc lacked was the one thing that couldn't be changed: the amount of years between us.

"I just can't seem to get past the fact that Marc is a decade younger than I am." I stated as frankly as the question about marriage had been asked.

"It's not actually an entire decade, is it?" his Aunt Susan mused as she tapped her lips with a finger.

"Marc is 8 years and 9 months younger than I am, which is almost 9 years. And when you're talking in generalities, 9 years is basically a decade. And I just can't help but look at the future and think what that decade will mean in the coming years. Is Marc going to have to spend our married years taking care of some old lady?"

"He loves you so much I don't think he would mind, even if that is what it came down to."

"Yes. But I would!" I blurted out with so much emotion it startled me. 

A sudden pall was cast over the moment so I tried to lighten the mood by joking, "Besides, me with Marc's last name is even more ridiculous than the first and last name combination I now possess."

I heard the phone ring in the background and then suddenly Susan's daughter called up into the attic that someone wanted to speak to me urgently.  I answered the phone from the extension in Susan's bedroom and was surprised to discover it was Sarah's mother Ginnette calling me. Apparently Velveteen had gone missing again and Sarah could not be consoled. Hoping to calm her daughter, Ginnette wanted to know if I would come over and speak to her. I hesitated for a moment because I knew that Marc and his family had plans for us that evening, but Ginnette burst out with,

 "I'll pay whatever you ask!" apparently assuming that my hesitation was some form of payment negotiation tactic.

As far as the case of the "Disappearing Bunnies" was concerned, the only thing I knew for sure was that I had developed a strong dislike for Sarah's mother, Ginette. Putting those feelings aside, 15 minutes later I was at Ginette's house and discovered the police were there too.

It made me think what a person of extremes Ginette was. For months she completely ignored what Sarah was enduring only to suddenly decide the police needed to be involved. I must admit though I felt relief to see the police there. I was beginning to feel out of my depth and (I'm also ashamed to admit) the idea of handing the entire situation over to the police seemed like a perfect way for me to bow out gracefully and without any guilt.

But it was not to be. In just those 15 short minutes it took for me and Marc to get to Sarah and Ginnette's house not only had Velveteen gone missing, but her owner as well. Sarah could not be found anywhere and the case went from a missing toy to the tragedy and terror of a missing child.

LINK to Next Part # 8 "More Missing"



Laura-Lee Was Here Blog "FINALLY FINISHED: Church Lady P.I."


Church Lady P.I. INTRODUCTION







Copyright 2015 "The characters and events in this story are not meant to represent any persons living or dead and are entirely a product of the imagination of the writer." LR


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome with only those using objectional language being deleted.